Sunday, February 7, 2010

flowers - are they in your tool bag for your woman?

Yesterday, as we lounged side-by-side watching Korean dramas, I asked Mina, "do you like receiving flowers"? She replied, "Yes. I love the life of the flowers. I hate cleaning up dead flowers afterwards."

Hmm... I guess I sort of agree. I'd put way more weight on the I love... flowers part. :)

Flowers - they're still one of the best and most simple ways to bring a smile to a woman's face. Traditional. Old school. Romantic. You ask a guy about his thoughts on this ... and very often it's one of those overlooked, under-appreciated tools in a guy's bag of courtship/relationship tricks. Why? Flowers are just soooooo impractical, frivolous, and ... old school. No. Flowers are a timeless symbol of love and affection, and every woman deserves to be adored. Men, bring it back to the top of your tool bag. Flowers are in.

Did you know that back in the day (and I mean back in the day to the age of the togas, robes, and gladiators) that flowers had special meaning and powers? Yes. Powers.

Did you know that back in the day when a man wanted to officially start courting the woman (of his dreams), he presented her with a bouquet of flowers to begin the courtship?

Did you know that different flowers and colors have special meanings? You know something about this if you're Asian. Lilacs - first love. Red roses - passionate love (red roses are in!). Pink roses - friendship. Stargazer - ambition (one of my favs). Magnolia - dignity (def one of my favs - I go look at Magnolia trees in the Arboretum every year. So majestic.).

For a woman, a bouquet of flowers is a gift that moves many of our senses. Think... "bang for the buck". They're pretty to our eyes (just like a woman should be to a man's eyes - ah ha! How symbolic.) They smell awesome as they bloom (smells are important to a relationship - I say, I tend to fall in love via smell. Many women would agree). Flowers are soft to touch (just like a woman's hands, face and skin). Flowers help a woman take a moment during the day to stop and literally "smell the roses" (or whatever flowers she has in her lovely possession). She'll stop and think about her man, the relationship, ... and smile.

You get it?

And for women: women need to appreciate that the act of buying flowers is uncomfortable for a man. It takes him out of his comfort zone. It's not natural (like buying car parts is...). When a man buys flowers for a woman - he's gone out of his comfort zone. A man buys flowers for a woman that he adores because the act is worth it to him to make her happy. Knowing that her man put in effort makes a woman happy. If your man gets you flowers, show some delightful appreciation. Seriously. Your man deserves to know that he is your hero.

~Arry

2 comments:

  1. Hi Arry,

    Long time no see! I only see ur brother these days.

    This is a good one! I think I'm going to buy flowers this weekend... You're right, buying flowers are like, you know, guys don't buy flowers for ourselves, we buy flowers for the ladies :)

    See you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ed!

    Yea, it's been awhile! I'll try and come out soon with my brother.

    Good - buy flowers even when there isn't an occasion too. :) Your lady will appreciate it very much.

    Take care,
    Arry

    ReplyDelete