Thursday, April 15, 2010

[2b] why are you doing all this, part ii


As I was giving my schpeel a couple days ago to this great community organization that helps at-risk youth, Community for Youth (http://www.communityforyouth.org/) by providing dedicated adult mentors to the kids - another reason came up that I wanted to share.

2b. We're less connected than before [continuation of 'Connecting Hearts' from my April 11, 2010 post]
With all the tools we have out there to connect us more: pda's, cell phones, text messaging, emailing devices, twitter, facebook, myspace... and the amount of time we spend physically alone in our individual cars, apartments, and cubicles...  we're less connected than we were 50 years ago, 100 years ago.  Human beings are social beings - we were meant to talk face-to-face, to touch and hug, to be social.  Now with all this technology - I can work anytime, any where... all the time.  Even now... past midnight, I'm sitting here writting on a blogger...

I'm tired.  Tomorrow I'll get up, check my email in the morning.  Walk my darling fuzzy dog, Mochi in the morning.  Play a few rounds of fetch.  Feed her.  Hug her.  Love her. Get in my car and drive my self to work where I'll set up camp at a contractor's station and sit behind a laptop all day long at my client site.  I'll have a couple meetings here and there.  I'll drive my self back home.  I'll walk my dog again.  Play more rounds of fetch with her.  Feed her.  Hug her.  Love her.  Get behind the computer again...  I'm still tired.  I'll text and facebook friends inbetween in an attempt to share some love.  It's just not the same as a real live in-person meaningful hug.  It just isn't.

So that's another reason for you.  Real hugs are better than virtual ones.  Wish my fuzzy dog would wake up and give me a damn hug right now...

Good night,
Arry

No comments:

Post a Comment