Wednesday, May 5, 2010

[4] like a marriage proposal?


Marriage to Me:
I totally want to be married some day - to the right man - who is honorable, respectable, and respectful.  I hope he sees me as honorable, respectable, and respectful, too.  In searching for Mr. Right - I'm super careful about who I will sign on with to be my lifetime partner.  Is he good to his family?  Is he thoughtful?  Does he open doors and have good manners?  Is he strong willed and independent?  Is he caring and does he ask me how I am?  Is he dependable?  Is he secure with himself?  Does he want kids?  Does he smell good?  :)  ... I'm so excited to enter that chapter of my life some day - totally looking forward to it.


Choosing a Business Partner(s):
When choosing a partner to go into business with - it should be taken with the same kind of gravity and seriousness as a marriage proposal.  I've literally been proposed to more than three times in the past few weeks - to go into business with people I know (flattering, really - but it's made me really think a lot about this lately).  When asked, I literally think in my head (and sometimes, my inside voice comes out and I literally say it aloud): "are you proposing to me?"  Going into business with someone is very much like marriage (minus the feelings of the romantic love and tingling excitement down my spine when I see my boyfriend/husband - for me, that's reserved for the relationship-kind-of-a-marriage. Lots of hearts and warm fuzzies spinning above my head). 

My Current Partners:
I look at my business partners today and we've had our ups and downs.  We fight sometimes, we get frustrated, we have fun, we miss each other, ...  and at the end of the day no matter what, I see them as honorable, respectable, and respectful people.  We've signed up to be partners in the business sense - and in the human-person sense.  I trust that their intentions are good for the team and our investment - you can't do it any other way.  Consider your current and potential business partners very seriously - it's serious business, like a marriage.

I welcome your comments and feedback,
~Arry

2 comments:

  1. I made the same comment to a few potential employers a few years back and they thought it was funny. When you spend as much woken-up time with people and at a job you love it could be heaven; if not it could be hell. Similar but not as committed to as a marriage.

    So which business proposal had potential? :)

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with business partnership/marriage analogy. Along with integrity and respectfulness/respectability, I think complementary personalities and a balance of skills are really critical for both marriage and business partnerships.

    ReplyDelete