Tuesday, January 19, 2010

which one are you: career woman or a woman with a career?

The dictionary defines a career woman as: "woman is a woman with a career who is interested in working and progressing in her job, rather than staying at home looking after the house and children"
http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-cobuild/career%20woman
http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861687171/career_woman.html

Then, what's a woman with a career? I can't seem to find the official definition online - I'd contend that the definition would go something like this: "A woman who is primarily focused on the home and family as her priority, regardless of how successful she may be in her job/career. She prioritizes love, relationships, the family unit above her career.

I'd also modify the official versions of the definitions of a career woman to go more like this: "A woman who is primarily focused on the success of her job/career, over that of the home and family". She is driven and motivated by her own success.

There have been dozens of articles and blog posts about career women - and the fact you ought to avoid these kinds of women, such as: http://www.slate.com/id/2148274/. A lot with strong language about how career women are divorce prone or unable to prioritize in their roles as women first (implying a woman's role is centered around the family and home).

Personally, I tend to agree. If you were to ask me which one I am... I'd say I am a woman with a career. I am passionate for the happiness of those around me (myself included, my family, friends, etc...). A woman (in general) is built to thrive on giving and receiving love - on feelings of want and being needed and appreciated. It is what it is. Women and men = we are different.

~Arry

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Hmm. I am not sure that I would agree with your definition of a "woman with a career." The part I would disagree with is "... regardless of how successful she may be in her job/career." I think most "women with careers" try to accommodate their careers as much as possible while also attempting to also focus on their families. It is true that many women (and men) may need to make sacrifices in their careers for family, but I don't think this means that they do not aspire to be successful in their careers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - I guess I assumed that most women aspire to be successful (i.e. description of women in my world/mind). Yes, degree of success is subjective/relative. My point was to show that how a woman prioritizes her career versus everything else makes a difference in how successful she'll be outside of her career/job - relationships, marriage, home...

    -Arry

    ReplyDelete